FAQs

Frequently asked questions

How does Call Home work? How much do migrant workers save?

Call Home is powered by Twilio, which allows 3G to landline calls. We chose Twilio because they're an industry-standard mature product, have good documentation, and do all the things we need (e.g. browser to landline calling, SMS delivery, phone number verification). This makes it super easy for us to iterate the service to best fit our users' needs.

Supported by Twillio.org, Call Home gets a heavily discounted rate, which means that the overall calling costs are 40-55% than standard calling rates, among the lowest in the market.

How will Call Home sustain itself for the long-term?

Call Home started as a passion project between four friends who wanted to do something for our migrant worker brothers during the COVID-19 period. We hope to build a community of recurring givers who will continue to support our migrant workers on Call Home. Give.asia will also provide development support to maintain the service and build new features to help migrant workers stay connected to their loved ones back home.

Which countries does Call Home support?

Currently, we support migrant workers with a valid Singapore number. Bangladesh, where the majority of our migrant workers’ families reside, is currently the only country which calls can be made to. We are looking to support more countries if demand increases.

What will the funds be used for?

98.5% of donations will go to fund the calling costs for migrant workers. The remaining 1.5% goes to Give.asia to cover credit card admin processing fees.

Why donate to Call Home? Why not sponsor calling cards directly?

Many workers’ families do not have access to wifi and cannot afford data plans that make WhatsApp or Viber calls possible. Workers often spend $30-40 each month on IDD cards alone, not including data plans they purchase to access other services.

COVID-19 restrictions mean many migrant workers have yet to return to work. Unable to earn any income, purchasing IDD cards become a luxury they cannot afford. For those that have returned to work, tight movement restrictions mean going out to purchase IDD cards from stores is a significant challenge.

The result: migrant workers cannot reach their families just when they need them the most. Call Home aims to fill that gap.

Give the comfort of hearing a loved one’s voice

Just $25 gives 1 migrant worker a month of high-quality talk-time with their parents, spouse, and children.